Re: multi rooted tree sidebar

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:38:44AM +0100, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 04:22, George Farris wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 01:07, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > OK right now having a multi rooted sidebar with an SMB share for
> > example, is a bad idea.  Until we have a file selector widget that
> > handles this it's just going to confuse new users.  Imagine it: "What
> > the.. how come I can see my file shares in Nautilus but when I try and
> > save a file from Gnumeric I don't see it..."
> >
> > Having Naultilus, a file browser, the GNOME file browser to be precise,
> > be able to see file namespaces that our file selector can't is a really
> > bad idea.
>
> Can't nautilus be made to be the file selector ?

On some level, the Right Way to do the file selector is not to have
one; you just open the file manager, and double-click the file. The
reason this isn't feasible is that the MIME system is fucked up and
doesn't get file associations quite right, as it does on Mac.

If the goal is to have the filesel be just like nautilus, I would
think we should fix nautilus so you can use it instead of a filesel,
instead of plugging in nautilus as a filesel. Someone PLEASE fix the
stupid MIME system...

That said, last I talked to Owen he wanted to have both the filesel
"filesystem model backend" and the filesel GUI be pluggable in some
way, because we need to change the backend for plain GTK vs. win32
vs. gnome-vfs, and we need to change the GUI for gtk vs. win32 vs. OS
X, so kind of a natural fallout of that is that people will be able to
plug in and experiment with whatever wacky filesel makes them feel
fuzzy.

What I'd advocate for the default gtk/gnome filesel though would be
something that came up quickly, was simple, and had shortcuts to
common/recent locations.

Havoc