Re: multi rooted tree sidebar

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 09:50, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:38:44AM +0100, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 04:22, George Farris wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 01:07, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > >
> > > OK right now having a multi rooted sidebar with an SMB share for
> > > example, is a bad idea.  Until we have a file selector widget that
> > > handles this it's just going to confuse new users.  Imagine it: "What
> > > the.. how come I can see my file shares in Nautilus but when I try and
> > > save a file from Gnumeric I don't see it..."
> > >
> > > Having Naultilus, a file browser, the GNOME file browser to be precise,
> > > be able to see file namespaces that our file selector can't is a really
> > > bad idea.
> >
> > Can't nautilus be made to be the file selector ?
> >

> On some level, the Right Way to do the file selector is not to have
> one; you just open the file manager, and double-click the file. The
> reason this isn't feasible is that the MIME system is fucked up and
> doesn't get file associations quite right, as it does on Mac.

IMO, Macs have just about the most screwed up and confusing file
association system known to man. Its like pulling teeth, especially when
combined with less rich filesystems, such as downloading from a computer
on the internet. Try convincing your Mac that you really really would
like to view that web page you created in Internet Explorer rather than
the text editor you created it in and you'll know what I mean :-)

-Seth