Re: File management window -- some changes

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:49, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> Luca's suggested changes imply that users do not understand how Trash
> works.

Not exactly. In my mind there was a voice: "Hey, this is the File
Management preferences dialog, don't the Trash properties/preferences
dialog."

In this section you can't change how the Trash works, i.e. limit the
Trash size to XXX MB, you can only enable or disable some alerts when
delete files. So IMHO we should refer to Trash only if we really need
it.

Besides I think the Trash is an object (or a location, or a special
folder) for a lot of users, so IMHO "Ask before emptying Trash" is good
(you are referring to a real desktop object), "Include something to
bypass/ignore Trash" don't (you are referring to how files are deleted).

I think write this last action as "Allow to directly delete files" is
better, 'cause it describes the action without referring to Trash (it's
not an actor in this action) AND without referring to a particular menu
item.

But it can be a my fault in English language conventions or just a
personal feeling :-)

So, sorry to repeat it, my suggestion are:

<b>Deleting Files</b>

    [ ] Allow to directly delete files
    [ ] Ask before delete files or empty Trash

> I don't know if this is correct. But in the labels we need
> to be consistent in our assumptions about where the user is coming
> from.
>
> The following are my suggestions from each point of view.
>
> User Has Some Understanding of Trash
> ------------------------------------
> s/Trash/Trash Behavior

"Behavior" is already in the notebook's tab.

> s/Ask before emptying the Trash or deleting files/Ask before emptying
> Trash

The alert appears in direct delete too, IMHO the original label is
better (at least more complete)

> PS: Also regarding the "1)include...where?" comment, I think the
> Delete menu item is added to the File menu and the popup menu. It
> would
> not be wise to add this information to the UI label. The correct place
> for this information is the online help.

Yes, but IMHO is better remove all ambiguities and 'external'