Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:16:22PM +0200, Jens Finke wrote:
> Eye of Gnome >= 2.3.0 does exactly this. Choose the Image Collection View
> in Nautilus if you have eog installed. Enjoy.

Nice! I just used this with my latest set of vacation photos.

Can I put in my requests now? ;-)

 - we need nautilus to display this in "view as" by default;
   it seems like nautilus should have a way to display this
   view for folders containing at least one image file.
   I bet this involves the mime system... save us. ;-)

 - it might be cleaner if the bottom pane were always 1 row, drop the
   vertical scrollbar, and drop the adjustable GtkPaned splitter; as
   it is now, I feel like I have to micromanage the splitter, as it
   doesn't end up right if I resize the window or whatever. Rather
   than N splitter positions, maybe just a toggle (open/close the
   bottom pane)

 - if an image is rotated, resave it like that (I guess this is hard
   as for lossy formats like jpeg you might degrade quality, and you
   can view many more formats than you can save as - so alternatively,
   could at least store the rotation in metadata so it's reused in
   this view)

 - I keep expecting both the thumbnails on bottom and the main image
   to have right-click menus (sort of a direct manipulation thing)

 - along the same lines, in Windows XP there's a little toolbar
   underneath the image which is more convenient/obvious than
   going to the menubar

 - also along the same lines, in "the inmates are running the asylum"
   by alan cooper there are some neat UI ideas that could be used for
   rotating the image etc. he talks about the UI for a scanner
   application.

 - cosmetic suggestion that may also apply to eog proper -
   in Windows XP, there's a little 1-pixel black line around
   the images - I think nautilus also does something like this
   for thumbnails - makes things look a lot nicer.

Havoc