Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

Hi Havoc,

thanks for your valuable feedback.

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Nice! I just used this with my latest set of vacation photos.
>
> Can I put in my requests now? ;-)
>
>  - it might be cleaner if the bottom pane were always 1 row, drop the
>    vertical scrollbar, and drop the adjustable GtkPaned splitter; as
>    it is now, I feel like I have to micromanage the splitter, as it
>    doesn't end up right if I resize the window or whatever. Rather
>    than N splitter positions, maybe just a toggle (open/close the
>    bottom pane)

Personally, I don't want to view my dozens of images in a single row. But
I admit the splitter situation isn't ideal, especially it doesn't save the
position. I will try to make this more user friendly somehow.

>  - if an image is rotated, resave it like that (I guess this is hard
>    as for lossy formats like jpeg you might degrade quality, and you
>    can view many more formats than you can save as - so alternatively,
>    could at least store the rotation in metadata so it's reused in
>    this view)

This is my current eog task. There will be some special handling of
jpeg files, because I am interested in this as well for my digital camera
images. This should resulte in as less quality loss as possible.

>  - I keep expecting both the thumbnails on bottom and the main image
>    to have right-click menus (sort of a direct manipulation thing)

I am not yet in polishing mode :). Will be in 2.4.

>  - along the same lines, in Windows XP there's a little toolbar
>    underneath the image which is more convenient/obvious than
>    going to the menubar

I saw this too. It's quite neat.

>  - also along the same lines, in "the inmates are running the asylum"
>    by alan cooper there are some neat UI ideas that could be used for
>    rotating the image etc. he talks about the UI for a scanner
>    application.

Don't understand this right. Can you give me some more hints?

>  - cosmetic suggestion that may also apply to eog proper -
>    in Windows XP, there's a little 1-pixel black line around
>    the images - I think nautilus also does something like this
>    for thumbnails - makes things look a lot nicer.

See "right-click-menu" answer ;).

Best wishes,

   Jens