Dealing with multiple files

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 01:01, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> It seems like the big improvement that would help a lot for using
> nautilus in place of the shell would be better support for modifying
> multiple files at once, e.g. chmod on a block of files.  Lots of
> people mention this issue.
> Havoc

Also opening multiple files at once.  For example, on commandline you
can do: "xemacs file1.cpp file1.h file2.cpp file2.h", but if you
rubberband-select several files in Nautilus, you lose your "Open With"
menu so you can no longer send all the files to xemacs.

While I'm writing this mail, I'd like to mention another idea I had that
relates to this somewhat, and that is filtering of files in a Nautilus
window.  It would be quite useful to be able to apply some sort of
filter to a Nautilus window so that it would show all files that meet
certain criteria, such as "*.{cpp,h}", and then it would not show all
the .o files, etc.

I think this would be a very, very useful feature.  What I don't know is
how to make it work into the GUI in a reasonable manner.  I figured if
it's a filter that you have to type, maybe make it append onto the URI
line somehow.

Just my two cents.

Cody

--