Re: Fam working a little to well?

Seth Nickell wrote:
On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 10:27, Mark Finlay wrote:

I think that maybe the problem is that nautilus updates on every
change to a file instead of just updating when a new file is created.

I don't know about everyone else but for me monitoring means telling
me when a file is renamed, removed or created. But i couldn't care
less when it's properties change.

"File monitoring" is a technical term. But the role of the file manager
(which ends up using file monitoring) is to present people with their
files. One of the biggest benefits of "monitoring" is that it makes
Nautilus feel less like a viewer and more like it is showing the actual
file. Nautilus needs to be *much* less agressive in thumbnailing, I
agree... But not monitoring for changes like thumbnailing images at all
and other "properties" seems like a sad thing.

The problem, is that for this to always work correectly and reliably you
need a transactions based file system which is something you don't have nor can easily have right now. The first widespread system with this will probablybe the treaded 'next windows' that replaces file system with db (unless they get something wrong, of course).

 (ideally I'd love to see something like MacOS does where downloading
files' icons show their download progress, but that alas is probably too
much to ask for now ;-)

This is much more simple, you "just" need the ability to specify a custom monitor and thumbnailer for a specific file. This should lie entirelyt in the gnome and implementable scope as opposed to large changes to filesystem APIs.

-Seth