Re: [Fwd: Re: commit: AbiWord is now a Nautilus View.]

Martin Sevior wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Eugene O'Connor wrote:

MArk Finlay <sisob eircom net> wrote:
1. "View as Abiword Component" - hmm could possibly be given a better
name, but I'm just nit picking.
I think "View as Abiword Document" is the most appropriate label here.

2. Should nautilus views be full blown editing applications or just, as
the name suggests - a viewer that lets you look at the file before
opening it in the app to edit it. I'm not sure, maybe someone else on
the nautilus list can comment.
I agree with Alex and Dave that it is not good idea to enable users to
edit documents through Nautilus. I think it would be very confusing for
users who are used to opening an application to edit a file.

And if it was possible to edit documents from Nautilus, we might have to
reconsider the term "view".

Well having played with it a bit I must admit that I find editting the
document in Nautilus to be quite natural. Of course right now it's
impossible to save it or do really interesting things (since there is no
save or dialogs or menus implemented yet).

Windows users tell me you can edit MS Word docs inside explorer BTW.

Well that's my "unbiassed" opinion. If the Nautilus maintainers want to
disable editting of views that's their call :-) The functionality of
editting inside the AbiWord bonobo control will of course be available to
anyone who wants it.

Cheers

Martin

When I talked about this general issue with Nils awhile back he made a good point that if you don't support editting in these views than you are really just getting in the user's way more often than not. On the other hand, to the best of my knowledge nautilus won't default to using a view over an app, but this leads me to wonder whats the point of the view really anyway.

dave