Re: [Fwd: Re: commit: AbiWord is now a Nautilus View.]

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> When I talked about this general issue with Nils awhile back he made a
> good point that if you don't support editting in these views than you
> are really just getting in the user's way more often than not. On the
> other hand, to the best of my knowledge nautilus won't default to using
> a view over an app, but this leads me to wonder whats the point of the
> view really anyway.

You keep saying it gets in the way more often than not, but you give no
reason or argument why this is so. In my experience files/documents are
read more often than they are edited/written, so I would say views that
view the content of files are not pointless. They are a pretty useful
part of browsing the filesystem.

The problem with editing in a view is that the state is so temporary.
Whenever you go up, back or something like that you loose all the changes
you made. And the sort of complicated UI needed for domain specific
editing of files is mostly to complex to fit nicely into the Nautilus
window without severe conflicts and UI overload.

Nautilus selects on a per mimetype basis whether to use an application or
a component to view a file. It can also be overridden by the user (I
think, but the mime capplet isn't all that usable).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an uncontrollable crooked househusband who must take medication to keep
him sane. She's an elegant out-of-work traffic cop with a knack for trouble.
They fight crime!