Re: [Fwd: Re: commit: AbiWord is now a Nautilus View.]

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Martin Sevior wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> > MArk Finlay <sisob eircom net> wrote:
> > > 2. Should nautilus views be full blown editing applications or just, as
> > > the name suggests - a viewer that lets you look at the file before
> > > opening it in the app to edit it. I'm not sure, maybe someone else on
> > > the nautilus list can comment.
> >
> > I agree with Alex and Dave that it is not good idea to enable users to
> > edit documents through Nautilus. I think it would be very confusing for
> > users who are used to opening an application to edit a file.
> >
> > And if it was possible to edit documents from Nautilus, we might have to
> > reconsider the term "view".
[...]
> Windows users tell me you can edit MS Word docs inside explorer BTW.

Perhaps nautilus could use something similar to the emblems in Internet
Explorer when the pointer hoovers over an image?

Basicly, it's a row of icons symbolising Save, Print, E-mail and something
else. What I'm suggesting is somehting similar - but with an entry for
editing (perhaps a pen) that would launch abi-word (or some other prefered
editor).

Peter Lundqvist                              /'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Studentv. 32:22B                             \ / No HTML/RTF in email
752 34 Uppsala                                ×  No Word docs in email
Sweden                                       / \ Respect for open standards
phone  +46 (0)70 45 66 347
--

  Printer - a joke in poor taste. A printer consists of three main parts:
            the case, the jammed paper tray and the blinking red light.