Re: Performance

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 09:58, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 14:48, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> > El vie, 07-11-2003 a las 09:35, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> > > Of course we work on performance when we can
> > I would like to help on this task, which are the key code parts that may
> > cause this kind of problem, I mean, if I could do something, where
> > should I start?
>
> If we know something was slow we would fix it. The main work with
> optimization is figuring out why its slow.

One thing which is _very_ slow is displaying a folder containing - say -
1000 MP3s.
I guess the reason is that Nautilus parses each files to determine its
MIME-Type.
I don't know how konqueror handles it but it's quite instantaneous.

The problem is that, now, Nautilus doesn't display the content before
everything is loaded. So you quickly notice this problem on crowded
folders.

Wouldn't it possible to simply display the files without determining
their MIME-Type and, later, re-scan the folder to get the MIME-Types and
display the right icons/thumbnails ?

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>