Re: Performance

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 19:55, Julien Olivier wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 09:58, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > I would like to help on this task, which are the key code parts that may
> > > cause this kind of problem, I mean, if I could do something, where
> > > should I start?
> >
> > If we know something was slow we would fix it. The main work with
> > optimization is figuring out why its slow.
> >

> One thing which is _very_ slow is displaying a folder containing - say -
> 1000 MP3s.
> I guess the reason is that Nautilus parses each files to determine its
> MIME-Type.
> I don't know how konqueror handles it but it's quite instantaneous.
>
> The problem is that, now, Nautilus doesn't display the content before
> everything is loaded. So you quickly notice this problem on crowded
> folders.
>
> Wouldn't it possible to simply display the files without determining
> their MIME-Type and, later, re-scan the folder to get the MIME-Types and
> display the right icons/thumbnails ?

I think thats would be worse.

You quickly get the wrong data, and then you can't use it while the data
is moving around to the final correct state. And this would make the
total time longer than the current time.

My guess is that konqueror is faster in this example because it matches
mime types for mp3 by extension, instead of sniffing. I prefer getting
correct results over speed though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a notorious overambitious cowboy from a doomed world. She's a radical
streetsmart vampire living homeless in New York's sewers. They fight crime!