Re: FTP performance (was Re: Performance)

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
Isn't nautilus gathering size information about the files it needs to copy before starting the real copy? Maybe this is what is causing the net activity before the copy start.

Yeah, it does.

The burning question is: can this be helped or avoided?  If so, I think Nautilus
should by default *not* gather the information when a slow FTP link is detected
(e.g. when the time between login: and password: exceeds 0.5 msec, or perhaps
when the time between three or four short FTP transactions (think ls or dir)
exceeds a predefined, short (5 second) time).

This is not a big amount of traffic and is needed so that nautilus can show you a progress bar. I love progess bars :)

--
Manuel Clos
llanero eresmas net