Re: A modest spatial proposal

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 04:42, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 22:25, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> > A number of people from the gnomedesktop.org forums have been playing
> > around with the spatial view version of nautilus.  After reading a few
> > remarks and looking over the new Mac OS X Finder, I have a modest
> > proposal.
> >
> > The Mac OS X Finder has a sidebar with a number of shortcuts to various
> > locations:
> >
> > http://a352.g.akamai.net/7/352/51/2e9d5a1ab1d2db/www.apple.com/macosx/features/finder/images/finderwindow10082003.jpg
> >
> > This seems a pretty neat way to get around the spatial view is cool but
> > it is a pain to get around arguements.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> Did you read my volume handling proposals? They sort of address this
> issue. I'm currently working on the lowlevel support for it, so soon we
> might be able to do experiments with the UI.
>
> I don't like the idea of a sidebar on all spatial windows though. Window
> size is very important in spatial mode, since you tend to have many
> windows open at the same time, and repeating the sidebar for each window
> wastes a lot of space. I mean, most people seem to disable the sidebar
> in navigation mode even. However, we'll try to work on the problem of
> getting to important locations quickly.
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
> He's a sword-wielding dishevelled gentleman spy in a wheelchair. She's a
> bloodthirsty paranoid queen of the dead with an MBA from Harvard. They fight
> crime!

I did see the volume handling message but I just thought this might be a
nice option or feature to go along with it.

I am not stuck on the rigid sidebar concept.  Hope I did not give that
impression.  A pull-down menu like the current go menu or a thin bar on
the bottom or underneath the file -- edit -- etc.. choices would be just
as effective and save real estate at the same time.

It is cool.  It was just a thought.

--
Johnathan Bailes <johnathan bailes esi baesystems com>