Re: Volume handling proposal

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 16:20, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 15:56, Paolo Borelli wrote:
>
> > I admit I don't use ~=Desktop so I may be biased, but I don't like this.
> > Even if it is more elegant in theory, I think it has drawbacks in
> > practice: the principal of which is that the desktop doesn't have
> > scrolling bars, so what happens when you have more files than those
> > which fit on the desktop?
>
> Like someone mentioned already, use folders. If you have that many files
> on one directory anyway, Nautilus will be uncomfortably slow anyway (it
> gets slower if you have TONS of files) - you are better off organizing
> your stuff in subfolders by category anyway.

Like I said before, it's not about _me_: it is not a problem _I_ have, I
do use subfolders.
It's about corner cases: having thousands of file in your homedir it's
unpractical and slow, but not broken, having them on the desktop it's
broken since the desktop has a fixed size (which btw depends on the
resolution).

Defaulting to save stuff on the desktop makes much easier to hit this
problem.

ciao
	paolo