Re: Volume handling proposal

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 17:30, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 16:20, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 15:56, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> >
> > > I admit I don't use ~=Desktop so I may be biased, but I don't like this.
> > > Even if it is more elegant in theory, I think it has drawbacks in
> > > practice: the principal of which is that the desktop doesn't have
> > > scrolling bars, so what happens when you have more files than those
> > > which fit on the desktop?
> >
> > Like someone mentioned already, use folders. If you have that many files
> > on one directory anyway, Nautilus will be uncomfortably slow anyway (it
> > gets slower if you have TONS of files) - you are better off organizing
> > your stuff in subfolders by category anyway.
>
> Like I said before, it's not about _me_: it is not a problem _I_ have, I
> do use subfolders.
> It's about corner cases: having thousands of file in your homedir it's
> unpractical and slow, but not broken, having them on the desktop it's
> broken since the desktop has a fixed size (which btw depends on the
> resolution).
>
> Defaulting to save stuff on the desktop makes much easier to hit this
> problem.

I think the user has a "oh shit this is a mess!" -problem before it
fills up though.

But I know what you are talking about. There is a real problem -
currently stuff *does* get offscreen if you have a lot of files. Or if
you change your screen resolution to smaller than it originally was. So
the problem needs to be solved.

But in general, I think saving on the desktop is a good idea, whether it
is the homedir or not. Saving there == easy to find the file. Plus it is
ideal for quick saving of things, like if you need to prepare a zip for
someone just to mail a few things, you make the zip on the desktop, then
you can drag it to the evolution composer. Once you sent the mail, just
drag the zip to the trash. I use the desktop as a temporary storage a
lot.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>