A thought on startup notification with the spatial modal.

With the spatial model, launching a file is seen as opening another
"object" right?? so heres what i'm thinking.  If we ever do get to the
point of having some kind of nice opening animation... a la OS X then
this would fit the spatial model with respect to opening files (from
nautilus).

when you click on an icon to open the file you get the normal wait
cursor, but also somekind of a feed back from the icon itself... perhaps
an hour glass on it or some kind of other animation.   Then when window
for the application does appear, the zoom affect is done from the file
icon to the application window.  This probably makes more since in OS X
b/c of the current zoom thing that happens when you launch a file, but
if we are going "all spatial" this seems to fit.

along the same lines as startup notification, there needs to be a simple
way to see if a directory is still loading.  When I heard about all of
the spatial stuff, I setup nautilus 2.4.0 to behave similarly and love
it, the only thing is that theres no spinner or any other way of telling
if the directory is done loading (w/out adding the nav toolbar :-/)

This seems like it would be fairly simple to fix.  gaim for example puts
icons in the menu bar on the right for typing notification.  A similar
thing could be used to add a simple spinner.

Some of these issues may have already been addressed.  I currently don't
really know of a good way to try out spatial nautilus without major
breakage so I haven't.

as for the menu's, the go menu and bookmarks definately need to be
removed.

I'm really excited to see nautilus taking a simpler and more usable
approach to the desktop.
--
Douglas McMorris <virage83 mail utexas edu>