Re: volumes mark 2

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 19:35, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>

> >> From the UI point of view, where would the "favorites" be located ?
> >
> > It'll just be a menu thing I think, not a location. In the panel menus
> > and in the nautilus window menus.
> >

> Well favorites shouldn't be available from the spacial nautilus window for
> the same reason bookmarks are not. In addition why not use a folder
> interface for managing "favorites"? Nearly every bookmarks implementation
> I've seen (the exception to some degree is epiphany) reimplements the file
> manager in its bookmarks editor.

The way i see favourites is as a shortcut to a place. If you have to
open a location just to get there the idea is sort of missed. Maybe the
"Go" menu is non-spatial. But I think we need some way to reach commonly
used locations when the desktop is covered or the place to reach is
somewhere where lots of navigation would be needed (say a shared project
folder).

I think fast access to commonly used locations is very important if a
spatial filemanager is to be really useful in day-to-day work. MacOS had
its "drawers" on the sides of the screen, but i'm not sure we want to
copy that exactly.

> Beyond this I think it would be good to work with marco to develop a
> gnome-wide desktop bookmark implmentation so that you can access all your
> bookmarks (file, folder, web pages, a bookmark is a bookmark is a bookmark)
> from one place using one implementation instead of creating yet another
> interface.[1]

Maybe so, but I want the favourites in the filemanager to be much more
limited than real bookmarks. Just locations (not files), and a simple
list (not hierarchical), to make it non-complicated and easy to find
your stuff in. As soon as you have to open up a window to find the
bookmark or type in something somewhere its really not good enough for
quick use in the file manager imho.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious soccer-playing vampire hunter from a doomed world.
She's a mistrustful thirtysomething stripper looking for love in all the wrong
places. They fight crime!