Re: volumes mark 2

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 16:36, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whatever we do with this, it seems like vendors are all adding their own
> "Documents" etc. directories, e.g.
> http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/18/003212.shtml?tid=23
>
> Which is bad, this is really an ABI that third parties may rely on.
> So we need to a) be sure we do address these special folders upstream
> and b) once we address them, it's bad to move them around again.

Er... shouldn't we move this discussion to the xdg-list at
FreeDesktop.org?  We ought to have some kind of cross-desktop system
surely?

> It might be interesting to catalog how Ximian, Sun, KDE, and whoever
> else, have done it.

Win32 has an API function: SHGetFolderPath

There's documentation here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shgetfolderpath.asp

and information on the types of folders here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/enums/csidl.asp

(Hopefully those URLs don't get too mangled)