Re: volumes mark 2

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:45, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 14:44, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Instead you would have total confusion about what directory is stored
> > where, and where directories appear if you create them. This sounds like
> > the worst sort of thing you could do to the mental model people will
>
> I agree that my proposal has drawbacks...
>
> > create. Either we expose the homedir as a concept, or we try to avoid
> > using it by default. Thats the only two sane choices. (Well, the third
> > would be make them the same.)
> >

> At this point my opinion is that we should continue to expose homedir as
> a concept. Not using it by default may seem appealing in theory, but you
> have to take in account that users will be faced with the homedir
> concept anyway, even if we change all the gnome apps.
>
> I can at least think of:
> - third party apps which default to save in a folder cretaed in ~
> - existng installation where users have their file in home
>
> Even if my idea of using links on the desktop was even worse, AFAICS
> also in your proposal $HOME would not be easily accessible from the
> desktop.

Yeah. I'm having second thoughts about desktop-as-home.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal Catholic grifter plagued by the memory of his family's brutal
murder. She's a provocative junkie Hell's Angel looking for love in all the
wrong places. They fight crime!