Re: volumes mark 2

Alexander Larsson wrote:

Yeah. I'm having second thoughts about desktop-as-home.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
that's good :)

I followed the discussion for a few days now and finally I decided to check this spatial thingy out:

First thing: I set my Desktop = $Home, did an 'ls > .hidden' and removed just some entries of that file. Now I do have a clean Desktop and with just one click (doubleclick) I can get to my Documents, Develop and Temp folder (all directly under $HOME)

And yes, I like it that way - especially since many apps default to $HOME as location for opening/saving it's easy to get to my documents. Having everything in a dedicated $HOME/Desktop folder would make it more complicated (more clicks)

So I vote for Desktop = $HOME

Next I set all Nautilus prefs to get as close as possible to the spatial behavior. (using Nautilus from Gnome-2.4) . Show Icon view per default, only the menu bar and statusbar in windows, open folders/objects in new windows - and I'm impressed! It works already very well for me. I cannot realy explan but it works or feels much better than the Win2k Desktop I have to deal with at work.

Looking forward to try the nautilus-spatial-playground branch - if It ever becomes available as a gentoo build <sigh/>

Jens