Re: PATCH for Search in folders (was Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback)

Il giorno gio, 02-12-2004 alle 08:41 -0500, Dave Camp ha scritto:
> Sorry, I wasn't too clear.
>
> I'm going to be putting a search interface into nautilus, and I'm going
> to be using beagle as my reference backend.  It'll be engineered in such
> a way that other engines (such as medusa) can sit underneath it.
>
> Sorry for the confusion,
> -dave

Ehmm... everybody loves beagle and medusa, but what about choose[1] a
plain and default glib/gtk search engine for the GNOME Desktop before
add a nautilus interface? Or, even better, a freedesktop.org sponsored
search engine?

I'm just saying that it seem odd to me develop a toplevel agnostic
interface, while a common plain backend is missing. Beagle is powerful,
but it's very high level. You need MONO, gtk-sharp, gecko-sharp, DBUS
and a kernel patch.

Honestly I think is better make GNOME depend on a small, extensible and
'standard' search core then implement now an interface to add search
ability only for Nautilus. Note that "to search something somewhere" is
a common request to a lot of applications. Rhythmbox needs it to search
songs metadata. Gconf Editor to search key names and descriptions.
Evolution to search contacts, task, appointments, and email contents.
Even the user tool could need to search for user data.

PS Please, don't flame. Unless you have a working search core yet ready.

PPS Of course if you want to develop something like the old lovely BeOS'
smart folders, well, go on and lame me.

[1] and maybe develop before :-)

--
Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it>