RE: how to change icon representing filetype

> Unfortunately, this design doesn't really accomodate adding types or
> changing other information about those types, such as the name of the
> type or the icon.  The general assumption is that the system will ship
> with a largeish base set of types defined, and applications should be

I agree. But some filetypes are not covered enought. BTW, how can I ask for
adding new filetype? I was recently enquiring for Ogg Media support in this
list. OGM turned out to be overcomplicated because of some principal
philosophical reasons (content vs. container). I'd also appreciate native
DV recognition as I use kino to edit data grabbed from my DV camera
and the files I work with are raw DV streams (.dv extension).

I know I can resort to adding both custom XML definition to /usr/share/mime
/packages and appropriate custom filetype icon link, but I have already
had enought of this hacking and I'm looking for more standardized way to
do things, especially those that can be usefull to more people.

> http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/

Thanks, I'll peruse it.

> As for the documentation not being updated, that's entirely my fault.
> I apologize for that.

No problem. I'd be happy to help you , maybe by updating Czech language
version [if | when] it is available. Please tell me more if you feel so.

Vit