RE: how to change icon representing filetype

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 16:54 +0100, Kotrla Vitezslav wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this design doesn't really accomodate adding types or
> > changing other information about those types, such as the name of the
> > type or the icon.  The general assumption is that the system will ship
> > with a largeish base set of types defined, and applications should be
>
> I agree. But some filetypes are not covered enought. BTW, how can I ask for
> adding new filetype? I was recently enquiring for Ogg Media support in this
> list. OGM turned out to be overcomplicated because of some principal
> philosophical reasons (content vs. container). I'd also appreciate native
> DV recognition as I use kino to edit data grabbed from my DV camera
> and the files I work with are raw DV streams (.dv extension).
>
> I know I can resort to adding both custom XML definition to /usr/share/mime
> /packages and appropriate custom filetype icon link, but I have already
> had enought of this hacking and I'm looking for more standardized way to
> do things, especially those that can be usefull to more people.
>
> > http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/
>
> Thanks, I'll peruse it.
>
> > As for the documentation not being updated, that's entirely my fault.
> > I apologize for that.
>
> No problem. I'd be happy to help you , maybe by updating Czech language
> version [if | when] it is available. Please tell me more if you feel so.

It would be very nice if there were another entry in the .desktop for a
mime-type icon. No matter how complete the default icon theme gets,
there will always be some mime types that users deal with that isn't
present in the default; it's simply the nature of things.