Re: Installing desktop icons in a centralized location, for all users

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 12:59 +0530, Bhupinder Ahuja wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am making an rpm of a file viewer. Is there any centralized location in
> GNOME, where, if we put a .desktop file(the file that maps icon to the
> application), the desktop icon is visible to all the users on the system.
> What I want is the behaviour exactly similat to "Trash" icon, which is there
> on the desktop, for all users.
> Currently, I have to install the icon for each user by copying the .desktop
> file in the ~ directory.
>
> Is there any way - "copy once - get on all".

No. Not do we in general want that. The desktop is owned by the user,
and he should put files there, not applications. Furthermore, the
desktop is for *user files*, not application launchers (as is typical
for windows apps.

You can however put the desktop file in /usr/share/applications and it
will show up in the menu. This is how installing applications is
supposed to work.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish small-town photographer searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a strong-willed bisexual bodyguard with someone else's memories. They
fight crime!