Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 17:48, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> El lun, 02-02-2004 a las 11:30, Olaf Frączyk escribió:
>
> >  :) And why I use mc instead of
> > nautilus? Because it is fast, really fast. I don't want to waste 40
> > seconds for waiting on directory listing if I can get it in 1 second.
>
> Then why are you discussing Nautilus issues regarding MIME types?  (you
> just stated you use MC *instead* of Nautilus).  If it's raw speed,
> Nautilus will never be as fast as MC, simply because Nautilus has much
> more functionality, and period.  Of course Nautilus could actually
> afford you lots of speed, simply because it lets you be more efficient
> than MC.
Sorry, but Windows Explorer opens such directories with similar speed to
mc.
So, I think that Nautilus could do it, too.

BTW, I think, that the extension vs sniffing vs tagging problem is not
easily solvable, as it is mostly personal preference, so I stop talking
about it. From another mail from you I read that a user would be able to
decide if mime-types are based on extensions or sniffing. So I am happy.

I have some other thoughts about the file type detection, so please read
my mail "Some thoughts about extensions and mime types". Maybe you find
them interesting.

Regards,

Olaf