Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

El lun, 02-02-2004 a las 17:57, Julien Olivier escribió:

> > If users have associated Windows executable files with WINE, for
> > example, wine will run files whether they have extensions or not, as
> > long as they are PE (portable executable) files.  Users can then receive
> > something masquerading as a picture, but upon run, discover that their
> > files are gone.  That the risk is 1-in-100000 does not matter.
> >

> That's why I am strongly in favor of ALWAYS warning users about files
> with extensions not matching their sniffed mime-type. Nautilus should
> never open a file with a sniffed mime-type that is different from the
> mime-type detected via its extension.

Warning the users about this problem is just a band-aid that might
minimize the risk, but not fix the source problem (implicit trust on
file extensions).  I'd advocate for this, so long as in the long term,
extensions and sniffing were ditched in favor of using real metadata.

> We all know that using the file name's extension to determine the
> mime-type is a bad idea, but it's better than having to wait dozens of
> seconds to open a local folder full of pictures/music.

Do you mean sniffing?  Given the choice of sniffing and extensions, the
best approach still is a mix of the two.  The thing is, we have to
fabricate our own way out of this choice, and into a better solution,
but I understand that is a medium-term endeavour, and current solutions
are just quick fixes for our architectural problem.

> > Extensions are just a hack, not a proper file type specification.  The
> > current status quo is, therefore, a hack.  Unknowing users will always
> > trample on that hack in the most unexpected way.  I myself have intended
> > to rename files and kill the extension in the process.   That's exactly
> > why Windows Explorer hides extensions by default.  And if Nautilus goes
> > that route to avoid "user stupidity" (which is actually programmer
> > stupidity) we'll end up with the same situation as with Windows
> > Explorer.
> >

> Yes, but you still have to find a solution to the slowness problem.

Then use extensions plus sniffing, in an asynchronous manner.  And,
seriously, someone should start research on a metadata system.  Look,
I'd do it.  I have years of C experience, I have developed for the GNOME
platform.  But I can't, I just don't have the time, although my current
endeavors make me wish someone paid me to do it, so I could escape them.

> > Besides, it's about time I should be able to have OpenOffice files on my
> > folders that don't have an extension, yet they open properly when I
> > double-click them.  Get the point?
> >

> Well, if a file doesn't have any extension, Nautilus will use sniffing
> to determine its file type when you try to open it. Isn't it what you
> want ?

Please try to erase the extension from an OpenOffice file, and see what
icon gets displayed and what happens upon double-click.  This wouldn't
happen if the file were tagged with its MIME type as metadata, and
Nautilus recognized that MIME tag.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net