Re: nautilus and .Trash folders on removable media

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 22:22, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that Nautilus creates trash folders on removable media...
> and I was wondering why lately my digital camera filled up so quickly :-)
>
> Maybe we should not create .Trash directories on removable media? Or can
> we uniquely identify removable media, so we could make a
> .Trash-<user>-<media-id> on the hard disk?

We typically want to keep trash on the same volume, that way we can do
guaranteed atomic moves to the trash etc.

> Or would a nicer solution be to ask the user 'more than 10% of the
> space on /camera has been allocated for deleted files. Do you want to
> delete them permanently (Y/n)?'

The current system clearly isn't perfect. In fact, its what i consider
the weakest point of nautilus atm. Something like this might be a good
addition, however we really need to sit down an reconsider the whole
thing for the next release.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a witless small-town inventor who dotes on his loving old ma. She's a
vivacious antique-collecting Valkyrie from Mars. They fight crime!