date format in list view

In list view, the date format takes up way too much space, and because
it uses whole words for week day and month names, it's also actually
harder to read at a glance.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but
it's easier to visually parse a list of dates when they are in shorter
format that looks more like fixed width fields.

Is there a way to change this?  Ideally either Nautilus would
automatically use a format like "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mi", or I could configure
it via the List View tab in Preferences or even a GConf key that allows
me to enter the raw format string.

Raul