Re: SMB error: "Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of..."

On 4 Jun 2004, Alexander Larsson alexl-at-redhat.com |nautilus| wrote:
> If libsbmclient had a way to set the unix charset to override the
> smb.conf setting we could use that.
>
> > Apparently libsmbclient is an abstraction over libsmb. Libsmbclient uses
> > its own contexts (called 'ctx' in the code), libsmb uses another kind of
> > context (called 'cli' in the code).
> >
> > libsmbclient could just set cli->use_kerberos = 1 and it would work.
> > It's just that it doesn't do that.
>
> That sucks. This is where a samba person working with us could help a
> lot.

I think libsmbclient needs a way to get to the cli structure. Then the
application can set whatever it needs.

The work on ntlm_auth that they did for squid and a few other projects
indicates to me they are not unwilling to cooperate.

> Well, We (i.e. red hat) would like to move the unix world to using
> kerberos more [1]. Part of this is making all the various unix apps
> actually use kerberos if you got a ticket, so that people have a reason
> to use kerberos. So, I'm all for making kerberos work with smb, in fact
> I want to make it work for webdav too, which is likely to happen when we
> move the gnome-vfs http backend to using neon which supports kerberos.

I think supporting logons to Windows AD domains would be a great thing,
that can be done now but is really hard to set up.

> We've recently been discussing how anonymous login should work on ftp,
> and what we decided is quite different from how you say windows work,
> but it might be that this is ok, due to the way these to systems are
> normally set up and used.
Well, IMHO this should work like:

- Log on anonymous if that is possible
- Require the user to make a shortcut or register the site somewhere if it
allows anonymous but they need to log on.
- Make this process obvious in windows for anonymous ftp dirs

Most users have only one or two sites that they need to log on to, I don't
think they should have to be bothered by logon dialogs for every ftp
server they ever use. Most ftp servers do not/should not support real
logons anyway. Then again, file managers are not really suited for ftp
sites because you can only do one thing at a time on ftp (and because the
directory listings are not standardized).

> > Note that you need to be really careful with sending and especially
> > caching logins because you can trivially spoof the server names. Using
> > broadcasts it's just a matter of who answers first, using WINS it's who
> > registers first.
>
> What do you mean by caching logins? You mean caching the password?
Actually I mean enticing the user to send their usercode/password to a
server that could be anyone, but especially sending the combination
automatically.

> I really suck at these things, I wish a person that really knew samba
> and windows could help out with the smb backend.
Well I know quite some things about samba, smb, windows and unix but not
enough about writing gnome-vfs modules. I have looked at it before but a
lot of the semantics are poorly documented or not at all.

> [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00317.html
Interesting.

Martijn Vernooij

ps. I am on the list, no need for CC's