Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

Quoting Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>:

> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 19:21, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > El vie, 04-06-2004 a las 03:23, Alexander Larsson escribió:
>
> > > Yeah, being provocative rarely helps your cause, it just tends to make
> > > people ignore you. Anyway, thanks for working on this (long standing)
> > > problem and actually thinking out of the box.
> >

> > Only one question remains.  Does nonotify require open fds?  I mean,
> > will it block cdrom ejection? =)
>
> Eh, it obviously does, which was clear in the original proposal (the
> talk about pinning down dentries).

Just to put this right: Nonotify does NOT require open fd's, it does NOT pin
down dentries and it does NOT block cdrom ejection.

Nonotify just uses a modified stat-call to read the new 'dcontents_mtime' field.
Nothing else. Stat-calls don't open fd's and don't block.

Norbert