Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify - A simplistic way to determine directory content changes

Quoting "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm usm edu ec>:

> Ideally, instead of simple throttling, it would be great if the polling
> daemon (receiving nonotify nudges) would wait for a "quiet" period (say
> 100ms between nudges) then release all change notifications in batch.
> That way, a ./configure would trigger one, perhaps only two or three
> change notifications to client apps, instead of a ton, which causes e.g.
> konqueror to flash like mad and CPU consumption to go up.

A polling system polls in a fixed interval (>= one second i'd recommend).
Because of this there will never be "storms" of change notifications. It just
sees what has changed in a directory from one second to the other - and not all
the changes in between. The CPU usage won't go up a lot when filemanagers
update their views every second.

> Only one question remains.  Does nonotify require open fds?  I mean,
> will it block cdrom ejection? =)

NO! Of course not. That's the main reason why i started "Nonotify".

Norbert