Re: POSIX ACL

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 19:03, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> Well I think we can start with the implementation for the UNIX
> filesystems which support ACL using the code provided in getfacl and
> setfacl CLI utilities in gnome-vfs. And for instance, if we hit the
> advanced button on the permisions sheet on a file which is on a
> filesystem that doesn't support POSIX ACLs, the user will be presented
> with a "Not supported on this filesystem error!" or better, show the
> Advanced... button grayed.
> What do you think?

The API exposed from gnome-vfs and to be implemented for gnome-vfs
modules needs to be generic enough to support all sorts of ACLs. We
can't just start hacking in support for something that will work for one
thing, and then later discover we have to redo the whole system and
rewrite applications when we need to extend it.

We only get one shot at this, and it needs to be right.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious guerilla stage actor plagued by the memory of his
family's brutal murder. She's a blind Bolivian former first lady on her way to
prison for a murder she didn't commit. They fight crime!