Re: THE LINUX REMOVABLE DEVICE PETITION

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 00:48, nf wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have created a website to point out the main issues with removable
> devices and unmounting - a place to collect information and to discuss
> possible solutions.
>
> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/petition/
>
> Please help me improving it, add comments and links, discuss it...
>
> Work in progress...

While I agree with yor view that we should have a notification system
that doesn't block unmounts I'd like to point that we *do* try to fix
this issue in nautilus. Whenever something is unmounted using nautilus
(or any app using gnome-vfs to unmount) the pre_unmount signal is sent
to all apps using GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor. When nautilus gets this signal,
it immediately unmonitors any mounts on that device.

It might be the case that this doesn't always work. I know that
historically there has been issues with this, including fam sometimes
leaking file descriptors that made this not work, but I'm not currently
aware of anything being broken.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a gun-slinging chivalrous waffle chef from the Mississippi delta. She's a
bloodthirsty French-Canadian stripper with a song in her heart and a spring in
her step. They fight crime!