Re: FEATURE: Icon Resource in application binaries

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 22:27 +0300, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> Still didn't convinced us Mike,
> it's not so hard to implement this "basic" feature, adn I think we
> should propose a standard trough freedesktop.org to do this.

Well, alright, go ahead. I still think it'd be better to eliminate the
times users are exposed to raw ELF binaries but if you are desperate for
this feature then I'd suggest having a couple of standard exported
symbol like freedesktop_icon_data or freedesktop_icon_function.

If the _function symbol is present it's called with no arguments and
returns a pointer to a block of memory containing the icon data. If it's
a variable (ie in .rodata) it's just read by the VFS. The format of the
icon data should be simple enough.

thanks -mike