Re: Spatial Nautilus

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 21:06, Jens Knutson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 13:39, bbarnich umich edu wrote:
> > Well maybe someone can enlighten me... Since when did nautilus decide to become
> > a MacOS 6 clone? I've been running the latest versions of everything since the
> > 2.3 beta days, so I've been using spatial for a while. I hate it. It reminds me
> > of the default windows 95 settings. I understand that this is supposed to be
> > better for people who are new to Linux and gnome but let us veterans at least
> > keep a normal file browser, make a dialog to configure how the file browsing
> > works. To do even basic navigation I need to learn all these key strokes, to me
> > this doesnt seem like progress. IMO all these "features" should be options not
> > defaults. Sorry to troll. responses?
>
> Brad,
>
> Some simple responses to your questions:
>
> 1) Nautilus uses the spatial model now for many of the reasons listed in
> this article: http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

> Give spatial nautilus a shot, though - I hated it at first, too, but
> once I understood it better and used it for a week or so, it really grew
> on me - now I wouldn't have it any other way.

i also like the spatial nautilus,but there is one problem which is hard
to solve: when i have to go down through deep directory hierarchies (and
no, i don't want to create symlinks), then it's very inconvenient to
close all those folders manually.

i know that i  can close all the parent folders, but sometimes it's not
enough. for example i'd like to have a close-all-except-this button for
example.

so what i'd like to hear, is: how do you deal with deep hierarchies?

or maybe i should go thru the nautilus keyboard shortcut list :))

gabor