Re: ftp and Nautilus

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:53:35PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> I'd be more in favour to expect a "username ftpsite" uri from users who
> want to log on a ftp server which accepts both anonymous and non
> anonymous logins. This could also be exposed in a more discoverable way
> in "network locations"

Mmh. Allthough I consider myself as a poweruser, it never occured to
me that password/username can be put into a ftp uri, allthough I know
that from http. Only thanks to Nautilus do I finaly know about it ...

And in most cases a user will be given a plain ftp uri. Putting
username/password into it is a somewhat advanced editing task.
Inserting username/password in a dialog is so much nicer.

About anonymous/non-anonymous login:
How about the 2 unavoidable textfields and 3 buttons:
- Cancel
- Anonymous Login

Login would be disabled until there's something in the textfields.
The layout should communicate that Login and the textfields are
closely related.

I think 3 buttons are the only solution to offer all possibilities
with the least amount of clicking required.

---
Thorsten Wilms