Re: ftp and Nautilus

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 21:39, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> Dialog 1 could use radio buttons instead of check boxes:
>
> ( ) Try to log in without a password
> ( ) Log in with a user account
>    Username:    [         ]
>    Password:    [         ]
>
> to correctly denote to the user that each operation is mutually
> exclusive.

Yes, although it's a bit 'busier' I'd agree this is probably
functionally clearer (and it's actually more like the 'Add Network
Place' dialog we designed for JDS a while back... I guess I should have
looked at that again first :)  Placing the anonymous login option first
also makes sense if that's going to be the default/more frequently-used
option.  I'd be happy to go with something along these lines.

This design also still lends itself to hiding both radio buttons and
just leaving the username/password fields visible, if we were to try and
detect the (non-)availability of anonymous login before showing the
dialog as some people have suggested.  However I have to admit I'm
dubious about that idea myself.  It must inevitably lead to an
additional delay before the dialog is displayed, which is rarely a good
way to enhance usability, and wouldn't it also temporarily use up an FTP
connection (possibly even the last available one) that somebody else
could be using?

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group