Re: Like where gnome and nautilus are going... few requests

On Mit, 2004-05-26 at 00:04, Nugeto Mandella wrote:
> Just recently tried Nautilus 2.4.2 in the Debian Sarge dist.
> I like it very much, it clearly needs more work but I believe the
> architecture and basic concepts are now sound.
>
> === Things I like
> File associations, well done.
> Image previews in icons... nice.
>
> ====Things I hate
> When you move down the tree if you hit a soft link, it goes there. It should
> go there in the right panel, but the tree should stay on the link, not shoot
> off to who knows where.

Fixed in Nautilus 2.6.0.

> ==== Things I want
>
> Right click on the desktop and be able to make NEW documents, this should
> also apply in Nautilus.

Fixed in Nautilus 2.6.0.

> When in the files, clicking say F, should move you down to the first file
> F...

Fixed in Nautilus 2.6.0.

> Be able to move forward and back across active windows, maybe this is more a
> gnome thing but I'd like to explain why (btw could do it in old gnome)
> Now if you ALT TAB it will sequence through the windows, very microsoft
> like, but one thing a Linux user gets very used of is the ALT right and
> *left* arrow keys, thats how tty's work. In the new gnome you can change the
> shortcut to say the right arrow key but there is no way to go backwards
> through the window stack. That makes it feel very UN-LINUX like. Please put
> that back.

That's the task of the window and not the file manager, in GNOME that's
normally metacity. Try Alt+Shift+Tab. You can change the keybindings in
the GConf editor (/apps/metacity/global_keybindings_switch_windows) or
in the control center of GNOME 2.6.

BTW: Debian unstable has been mostly upgraded to GNOME 2.6.

Jürg