Re: arrow keys not jumping to next line

Qua, 2004-10-20 às 12:17 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz escreveu:
> Dnia 20-10-2004, śro o godzinie 11:36 +0200, Alexander Larsson napisał:

> > > Ok, I understand that you don'whant tabs to to the job, but what about
> > > the arrow keys? I mean this there anything wrong from the usability
> > > point of view to jump ot the next or the previous line? The cursor in a
> > > text does so, so it would be kinda consistent.
> > > Anyways, I'm just posting to know, whether or not it's worth an RFE or
> > > even a bug, or if people think of it as the "wrong" behaviour.
> >
> > I'm not sure. Its sort of a weird behaviour for moving around what is
> > basically a grid. Consider the desktop, should moving right at the right
> > side of the screen move to the "next line"? On the other hand, it is a
> > useful operation, if you want to select a range of icon in the sort-
> > order.
> >
> > What behaviour does other file managers and apps with similar UI have?
>
> AFAICT, they universally support such behaviour (ie, they wrap up to
> next line)
>
> On the related note, I noticed I'm not able to keyboard-navigate to
> icons which were assigned small thumbnails (<30K) in iconview, as
> opposed to normal icons & large thumbnails[1]. As I have kinda old-ish
> version (2.8.0) of nautilus running, I didn't report that, but if
> someone can confirm that in newest version, I'm gonna file a bug, as
> it's rather major flaw

  I notice this too, and has nothing to do with thumbnails.

  I try to guess below what more or less happens.

  If you are in an icon and press up, nautilus takes the coordinates of
the center of the current icon, subtracts the row spacing to the y
coordinate, then selects whichever icon intersects the new coordinates.
However, if you use compact layout, sometimes the icons in the row above
are not horizontally aligned with the icons in the current row.  That
means that the new coordinates computed as I indicated above may fall
exactly between two icons, and, worst of all, intercept none.

  I should stress again that I'm just trying to guess what happens.  All
I know is that sometimes pressing up or down doesn't jump to the row
above or below.  Something strange definitely seems to happen.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic