Re: patch for bug 134420

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 16:39 +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> > > I think nautilus should not behave like you are proposing. If cut a
> > > file, it should stay on the clipboard. So I can paste it in multiple
> > > directories. This is the way cut and paste work in all other applications.
> > >

> > I thought that is what copy was for ?
> > What would be the point of cut ?
>
> That it will vanish from the original place.
>

> > I quick check on IE confirms that after a cutting and pasting operation
> > the paste is then disabled.
>
> Check in a text editor instead.
>
> Open empty file, write line.
> Select line.
> Cut line.
> Paste line.
> Paste line.
> Paste line.
> Paste line.
>
> see ? :)

Nautilus is already inconsistent to this behavior, because after
cutting, a file does NOT immediately vanish. It will vanish only after
it was pasted somewhere else, so it makes sense that you can paste files
only once (it acts more like a move operation). I believe that this
inconsistency was one of the reasons why the original Nautilus did not
have cut/copy/paste. As long as Nautilus is behaving like this (and I
don't see how it could behave differently in a logical way), dimming the
paste item after pasting is certainly correct.

--
Daniel Borgmann <spark mayl de>