Re: DragNDrop to an unopened folder (without springs) and a nice accessibility side-effect

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:16 -0400, Kevin C. Krinke wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 00:35 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> >

> > > I feel this is fundamentally wrong. The user should never get into a
> > > situation where they are dragging around "a selection they never
> > > dropped". See my suggestions below.
> >
> > Why? Do you have more than a feeling?
>
> Ok, the reason I feel this is fundamentally wrong is that the user
> should not be allowed to become confused about something as simple as
> copying/moving a file and that with your proposed solution would do just
> that; allow for greater opportunity to confuse people.
>
> Not that I'm saying the idea is all bad or anything, just that what
> Nautilus needs is to behave in as natural and obvious a way as possible.

To me that argument just sounds like "its different so it will confuse
people".

> Ok, so I grab a file and begin to drag it somewhere, how does Nautilus
> know that I want to copy it instead of moving it?

With DnD thus information is built into the source widget.

> Well I don't see how you could replace the left-click instance with
> anything as how is the user supposed to open up another folder?

The precise point of the change is to allow the user to use the left
click to navigate with. The pasting comes when you click on an empty
window.

Cheers,
Ryan