Re: [(RE)ANNOUNCING] nautilus-open-terminal

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:21:47 +0100, Heinrich Rebehn
<rebehn ant uni-bremen de> wrote:

> >>Sure, everyone has his own way of using the desktop. I have a terminal
> >>launcher in my panel too, but sometimes it comes more handy and is just
> >>faster if you can access it from the current mouse position.
> >

> > If you can click on the desktop, you might as well right-click on the
> > "home" icon;
>
> I talked about the "current mouse position", the "home" icon is not on
> the current mouse position. With your reasoning, we could drop the
> complete desktop popup and put its contents in the "home" icon.

Come on, a little perspective here: if you can click on the desktop,
you might as well have the "Home" icon in sight; and if you don't,
there's the "Show desktop" button. Anyway, opening a terminal on the
home icon is the right thing to do, if you want to open a terminal.
What's the meaning of having a "open terminal" item in the desktop
context menu, anyway? It does not belong there - and, as Havoc said in
the bugzilla entry linked, the goal should be not to open the terminal
if it's not strictly necessary; putting an item "open terminal" as the
first one in the context menu it's like saying "hey, you have to open
the terminal anyway, since the desktop environment isn't powerful
enough to replace it for the average use".

> >>Again, why remove a feature that people have got used to and does not
> >>hurt anyone???
> >

> > It's a "menu real estate" issue: too many items in the context menu,
> > and the "open terminal" does not really fit in with the other items in
> > the desktop context menu, as I see it.
>
> Maybe, it's a matter of personal taste, that's why a user configurable
> menue (like in fvwm) would be the best.

User configurable menus are so '90s: it's the 21st century, and UI
have come a long way since then. :-)

Seriously: the HIG states that a context menu should have a few items;
I still can't see the point of having a shortcut to the terminal in
the *desktop* context menu: it completely breaks the paradigm, since
it doesn't even open a terminal inside the "${HOME}/Desktop"
directory!

> >>BTW, the best solution would of course be a user configurable desktop
> >>popup menue :-)
> >

> > I'd rather not go down this way... Or we could end up with a
> > Konqueror-clone... ;-)
>
> Not use a feature just because someone else uses it too? That's really
> childish.

It was a just a joke - I really don't know if konqueror's context menu
are configurable by the user.

> To conclude: the "open terminal" option is not a "killer feature" for
> me. But it is the continuing removal of features that i got used to that
> makes using gnome less fun with every new release :-(

Well, that is balanced - in my opinion - by the option to open a
terminal in each directory listed in a nautilus window - a feature
that I've always seen better intergrated in nautilus, than in a
script.

Regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing