Re: NautilusMetadata

Am Montag, den 03.10.2005, 21:16 +0200 schrieb Diego Gonzalez:
> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 14:55 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 10.04.2005, 14:18 +0200 schrieb Diego Gonzalez:
> > > Is there any reason to keep all the nautilus metadata related
> > > functionality using Bonobo.
> > > Can i remove the bonobo use from those objets and turn them normal
> > > GObjects?
> > >
> > > I have been looking at it and this is what i will try:
> > >    1) Remove all the bonobo usage from nautilus-metafile.c and
> > > nautilus-metafile-factory.c
> > >    2) Remove all the monitor classes related to metadata and convert
> > > the NautilusMetafile to emit signals instead
> > >    3) Remove nautilus-directory-metafile and adapt all the classes to
> > > call directly the nautilus_metafile methods.
> > >
> > > I think i can have this working in a couple of weeks if there is
> > > interest in it.
> >
> > Any news? :). Would be nice to have this for Nautilus 2.14.
>
> Hi
>
> From the last conversations I understood that someone was working on a
> replacement for the bonobo based metadata server and that he would try
> to integrate it, that's why i didn't try to go any further along this
> road.

Yes, this is right. I'm quiet optimistic that Jamie comes up with a good
solution for metadata indexing. His architectural considerations are
well-founded. This implementation will definitly not use
NautilusMetafile, though.

> I don't expect
> having enough time to have this ready for Nautilus 2.14.

Thanks for your quick feedback and good luck with your master thesis and
further bug fixing!

On a related sidenote: I'm already having a debonobozation patch in my
local repsitory that needs a little love, but does not radically change
the metadata architecture - just to let others know that this work gets
already done.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>