Re: nautilus-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 15

On 4/14/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
> I think that would be overkill.
> The burn:/// is basically a magic folder.
> You put things into the burn folder, and then you burn
> the CD or DVD.
> The thing already looks like a folder, so we really
> don't need to say 'put stuff here'.

I beg to differ, since apprently in some cases you do need to say so -
or this discussion wouldn't be here.

I think that special folders in general might benefit more from
looking different (this is a special location) than from looking like
everything else (there is nothing special here), as clearly they are
different and will not always behave as other folders.

I would personally like them to be folder-like, so it can be expected
that they follow the same metaphores, such as drag/drop, copy/paste
and so on, but not pretend to be something they are not. A remote
folder, trash and burner all have their own little kinks and I'd like
to be aware of those.

On 4/14/06, Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org> wrote:
> P.S. I can't help but notice that in spatial mode, there couldn't have
> been confusion about the drop target to begin with ;)

Sorry, but some of us just can't work with spatial view. I actually,
honestly gave it all the try I think anything deserves by using it
exclusively on all my three computers for about 6 months (half Hoary +
half Breezy). Why? Because I've come to the conclusion that defaults
are often chosen for a reason and deserve a fair try, it may often
turn out to be a good reason once understood. ;).

But in the end I switched back. I cannot work that way, way too
inefficient for someone who uses the computer to get almost all work
done - IMO. Now productivity is back, and the day non-spatial
disappears, so do I. It might be easy to grasp for the non-abstract
mind or whatever the reason, but it's absolutely horrible to work fast
with. I feel shackled. Sorry. (Oh, and not trying to spark that
discussion again, just strongly pointing out that that's as much a
non-fix for me as it would to tell me to use Windows or a Mac).

If there is any way that the drop target could be made a non-issue
without going spatial, that's the best for all of course.

--
Kristoffer Lundén
✉ kristoffer lunden gmail com