Re: Trash F.D.O compliancy

Il giorno mar, 14/02/2006 alle 09.39 -0700, Lakin Wecker ha scritto:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been looking for a place to contribute to gnome for a few months
> now, and my previous patch [1] is my first effort.  This patch allowed
> me to become familiar with the trash in Nautilus, and I started poking
> around the bugs assigned to Trash in bugzilla [8].
>
> I'm curious if anyone is working on making the trash f.d.o compliant
> [2]?

Are you sure this draft was _really_ approved by fd.o (xdg mailing
list)?

> The goal would be to get this in for the next major release after
> 2.14, which gives me at least 6 months, which should be ample time.

Well, by now GNOME is in "hard" feature freeze, so I suspect you have to
wait new development cycle :-)

> If I do work on this, I'll be around asking lots of questions, so I
> hope the developers don't mind.

For brief a comparison between pros and cons of Windows Recycle Bin vs
Mac OS Trash see also http://www.xvsxp.com/files/#trash

If we want all pros and no cons, GNOME should be able to provide secure
deletion and restore features (browse folders in trash and single
deletion are yet here)

A second stage of improvements could provide trash size limit, auto
clean and other, but please note that here we need a really smart
algorithm: in your trash you have 4 audio OGG files (~3 MB for each
trashed yesterday) and a 1 billion cells x 30 sheets spreadsheet with a
lot of data and formulas (let me assume 1.2MB trashed two weeks ago) and
your Automatic Trash Cleaner(TM) have to free 1MB. What's better to
remove? The older file? The file that fits the size to free? Don't you
think that could be more simple to rip again the ogg file then write the
spreadsheet from scratch?

PS: OK, if you really move to trash a 1MB spreadsheet if you don't want
to lose it, you are fool, but GNOME is here to aid people, not to simply
copy MS or Apple ;-)

PPS: a really secure deletion on journaled file systems could be hard

PPS: a Mac OS X tool for "automatic trash management" is here
http://mac-compost.com/