Re: Trash F.D.O compliancy

On 2/15/06, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
> A second stage of improvements could provide trash size limit, auto
> clean and other, but please note that here we need a really smart
> algorithm: in your trash you have 4 audio OGG files (~3 MB for each
> trashed yesterday) and a 1 billion cells x 30 sheets spreadsheet with a
> lot of data and formulas (let me assume 1.2MB trashed two weeks ago) and
> your Automatic Trash Cleaner(TM) have to free 1MB. What's better to
> remove? The older file? The file that fits the size to free? Don't you
> think that could be more simple to rip again the ogg file then write the
> spreadsheet from scratch?

You assume too much: the ogg may be the only copy of a live recordning
or the source may not be available for other reasons, and the
spreadsheet may be common in the company - there just is no way to
determine that some files or file types are more rare or irreplacable
than others. In either case, the risk that a file was deleted by
mistake gets lower and lower by age - what spreadsheet of that
importance would sit in the trash for a whole day, not to mention two
weeks?

A good autocleaner probably should clean by age instead, especially
given that storage is rarely that sparse. I think there was a good
suggestion on this list a while back, with user settable time-to-live
(say 1 day, 1 week, 1 month) of course defaulting to "forever". As the
trash is more of a one-level undo for files than a permanent storage,
empty on exit (like /tmp) could also be a valid alternative.

--
Kristoffer Lundén
✉ kristoffer lunden gmail com