Re: inconsistent drag data: x-nautilus-desktop:, network:, etc

Am Samstag, den 25.03.2006, 09:54 -0800 schrieb Jeffrey W. Baker:
> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:20 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 24.03.2006, 23:18 -0800 schrieb Jeffrey W. Baker:
> > > Nautilus seems to provide very different drag data depending on which
> > > representation of the same thing is being dragged.
> >
> > I agree. The x-nautilus-desktop:/// URIs aren't very useful, so for the
> > "text/uri-list" drag target we should probably provide the target URIs
> > of volume links. Once we fix this, you can request the "text/uri-list"
> > target and do what I will propose below. Internally, we would still use
> > the "x-special/gnome-icon-list" type with the old semantics, at least
> > until we figure out whether this breaks anything.
> >
> > > What am I supposed to do with an x-nautilus-desktop?
> > > The name implies this is internal data, private to Nautilus.
> >
> > Exactly. This URI is not known to GnomeVFS.
> >
> > > I could scan the VFS volume monitor for
> > > objects with the display name "something", but I think there might be a
> > > more direct way for me to get the GnomeVFSVolume I want, and I am
> > > overlooking it.
> >
> > I think you could ask the volume monitor for all its volumes and check
> > for each of them, whether the dropped URI matches.
>
> I don't understand.  The dropped URI is not one that Gnome VFS
> understands, so I can't use it to compare volumes.

Yes, but if we pass the activation URI of the dropped volume to the
application offering the drop target, it should be able to deal with it.

> > Just for curiosity: What exactly are you trying to implement
>
> A music metadata program.  The user should be allowed to drop a volume
> off the desktop onto my program.  You might have noticed that this
> doesn't currently work in Rhythmbox, either.

Are you interested in the volume's properties (i.e. its ID), or are you
only interested in the volume's activation URI?

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>