Re: Nautilus thumbnail creation SLOW. gThumb does a much faster job.

It uses gdk-pixbuf, which has special case code for quick scaling of
jpegs. However, what it doesn't do is read thumbnails embedded in jpeg
files. Maybe this is what gthumb does?

gThumb does not do that either. It has its own jpeg decoder, with provision for scaling. (I don't know why it has its own decoder - probably just history.)

Anyway, I don't see a speed difference: after deleting ~/.thumbnails, gthumb took 1min 50sec to thumbnail 352 JPGs. Nautilus took 1min 40sec - basically the same.

Mark - are you running gThumb after running Nautilus? They share thumbnail caches, of course, so gThumb would appear to be faster in that situation, because the thumbnails already exist.

Any chance the images are on a VFS location? gThumb might be faster in that situation.

- Mike