Re: Nautilus not able to run as root?

Hi. First of all thanks.
You are right :) It works :)
But it would be a little trouble some to lunch all applications
(remember it also affects Save/Open Dialogs) using dbus-launch. Maybe
there is some global workaround ? I think that if dbus is not present
nautilus should just start without using it? Or maybe run it by
itself? Any suggestions about it?
Regards Michal.

On 4/20/07, Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
On Fre, 2007-04-20 at 00:18 +0200, Michał Majchrowicz wrote:
> Hi.
> I noticed (on many different machines) that nautilus cannot be run by
> root. Is it expected behaviour? When I am logged as user (i.e.) john
> then when I do run in console nautilus window pops up (as expected).
> But when I do something like this:
> su
> Enter root password
> nautilus
> Nothing happens :( The program just hangs...
> Please tell me why it is like this?

That's because there is no dbus session daemon for root running. You
should be able to start nautilus by using dbus-launch; I don't know
whether that's the recommended solution, though.

Jürg